Small Miracles Do Happen

For the first time in three years (except when she was recovering from being spayed), Smudgie and I did not make it to agility class. I called to let them know and shortly thereafter the phone rang. Miles calling to say someone could run Smudgie for me if I wanted. Of course I would only trust her with him. I explained I just wanted to sit with my ankle up with ice on the entire length. I said I wanted to save whatever run I had in me for the weekend and I was hoping for SN to perform miracle.

Little miracles can be had. SN made good progress with my ankle/foot. She worked mainly on my right foot and leg. It hurts on the outside above the ankle and then beside it into the foot. It still has a way to go and I knew running this weekend would definitely set me back but hell or high water I was taking Smudgie to the trial.

I did practice weaves once a day all week. One day outside she amazed me by doing them! She was doing them consistently - six poles closed. The morning of the show I cleared the living room and put up six poles she did it twice perfectly and then popped out of the end. The next time she did it correctly so that was enough! Smart to end on a good note. This gave me hopes for our Regular Novice class but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

I managed not to cry all week but believe me there were tears in my eyes a few days. I could walk but not run, Sue couldn't see me until Friday. Oh well, it is what it is.

I thought I was less nervous because I had no expectations but Smudgie begged to differ. She had been fine all morning. Happy to be at On The Run. I arrived early enough to be in the third parking spot from the door. I picked out a nice spot for our staging area but then saw LB. I needed a little support and she offered a spot so we slid on in. I promised to not be too much of a bother. There was limited space so the chairs had to be in the aisle. My big chair was a big hit for comfort. I got my new pirate fleece and it made the chair even more comfy. Smudgie has been taught to stay in a chair when told Just a Minute. We had a few self releases but overall it went pretty well. She was not happy to be in the kennel. I knew Monday morning would be a "No, that's okay" kennel morning so I planned ahead for Peanut Butter Kongs.

Technology is wonderful! I used my iPad to take a picture of the courses so I could utilize down time to learn my course. This was so helpful. Guess who managed to stay the course! Ya! Me :) Then doubling as a camcorder - I could see my runs thanks to LB taping us. This also will help with Smudgie's show personality.

This new persona  was discovered when we went to check in for our class. I had warmed her up over a single bar all was well then. As we were walking toward the check in area, I went to give her a treat and she shrunk back like I beat her. Apparently, I also have a new persona - Show Handler. I was trying not to be nervous but must not have been unable to hide it. At first I thought she was hurt and LB was kind enough to give her the once over. Found a little knot on her neck on the left side. She got that cleared up.

Order of go - little to big, our first class Gamblers. This was interesting (video on youtube). You can do what ever you want on the course on one side of this line and earn x amount of points, then a buzzer sounds and you have to get your dog over to the area where the line is that you the handler can't cross. Do you know how hard it is to get your dog to know what to do when you can't get closer? It is difficult if you haven't practiced it. We missed the jumps but she took the tunnel and the last jump. I think I was so nervous, I, one didn't hear them say go and didn't give a verbal command like Go Jump! Ya! We got some work to do on distance training. We have only started sends this last round of lessons so I am happy with her performance. This was her first go on an aluminum  teeter. I gave her a good indication and a straight approach.

Then it was time to collect my dog and she shrunk away from me. I collected her and went to give mucho treats. She relaxed after a bit. I have to keep things chilled, very chilled at shows. She will probably get over this. Awareness is half the battle.

Turns out I had to be leash runner for two rounds of Elite - there are MANY dogs in Elite. This did not give me a chance to rest my foot/ankle much.

Miles made it for Smudgie's Regular round. He recorded our run. It was really nice to have my trainer's support.

Shortening this up. We had three runs on Saturday with one Jumper Q. Sunday we had two more Jumper runs and Smudgie got her first Title as we got two Q's! I was crying when I went to sign for her certificate and pick up her Title pin. What a sap! She didn't care about that but appreciate the cheese hunks.

Lots learned over the weekend. Lots to practice. I LOVE my dog!

No comments: