Even if it hurts . . .

Wednesday, last week I received a message from DH, asking how Pixie was doing. He thought I had found a spot for her. Nope, those people never responded back after the pictures. In my mind, they don't deserve her then. Time to do what I had been putting off for probably about a year now. I sent an email to JH asking for help placing Pix. She respond pretty much immediately having already located a home. A couple who lost their jack. They have 100 acres. When? Not one to wait, how about tonight?

I bought a bag of dog food as Pixie can only have Iams Sensitivity. Brought extra collars, her Pixie coat and Fido Fleece and samples of two kinds of treats in their bags so they would have them to purchase.

Our last ride Pixie manned her position on the console. Pilot to Navigator. She sat up and begged for belly scratches which she was given. She was feeling pretty special. We arrived before they did which was good. She needed to blow off a little energy.

I got to meet Dori's pup - what a butterball. Danzig is going to the son of the couple that is taking Pix.

They like her right away. I went through every command and trick I could think of. She was naughty about "Here". She had a tennis ball and didn't think she needed to. Everything felt right. It is something I need to do for the good of all. Yes, I could give this couple precious Pixie. No fears, no tears.

I  provided the Home Again info for her chip, vet info and her school diplomas. I promised to write the Book of Pixie which I have done but darn if I don't keep thinking of more commands.

Time came to leave. With Pix sitting in the new owner's lap, the window rolled down to say goodbye. It was then I saw the understanding of the situation in Pixie's eyes, "I am leaving you again." I had to turn away but did not cry.  I am tearing up as I am writing this. Pixie is going to have 80 acres, take trips to Canada, be THEIR dog. Getting the attention she has always wanted.

As I drove home alone, with the rain sprinkling on the windshield, it dawned on me that I forgotten to mention how she feels about thunderstorms and how I use a thunder shirt. What else have I forgotten. While I did send a note to Jill as she has their number. I hope that they do friend me on FB so I can be assured all is well with Pixi Stix.

No news the next day which I took as good news. I am doing the right thing. A very hard thing but the right thing. There is a palpable difference at home. The little white dogs didn't notice there was no Pix. I took her kennel down and closed the empty space, pulling their kennels closer together. I had put the collapsed kennel into the garage and have notice both dogs sniff at it like I know that smell is that her? With my boot I have been taking them out singularly or Wy and Smudge together so perhaps that has eased things. Also, I am not acting depressed which would be picked up by my little radars terriers.

Jill tagged me in a couple of photos of Pix. The first I thought, "Oh, she looks sad.". I opened the next to see a very, very joyous Pixie running towards the camera. Yes, she IS happy! The next day more pictures appear - Pixie going for a walk, Pixie back from the Beauty Parlor. I could barely recognize her - she was shaved from tip to tail. I always left her eyebrows, stache and beard.  Letting go is hard to do. I remind myself that she is their dog now and they love her. With the temperature getting to over 90 degrees, I bet she is more comfortable than she has ever been. She could not own better people. I sent an invite to N on FB which was quickly accepted. I then sent her the Book of Pixie, first draft. That should tide them over until I finish updating. I have very smart dogs!

Wyatt has decided to take the offensive approach with Smudgie. It seems he doesn't approve of Pix and mine's handling of the spoiled white dog. We were too soft. I am trying to stay out of it. They are working it out and I can see Smudgie is getting more attached to him. We can have a alpha male and alpha female in the house. That is as long as I am alpha supreme. The energy level is so much better. We play ball after work on the puppy playground (the shared space at the end of the town home across from me).

The first morning without Pix as I was getting ready for work Smudgie and Wy got into it. Next thing I know Wyatt is having a seizure. What I think happened is Smudgie noticed Wy having a seizure and she attacks weakness. Hugging Wy, I fended Smudgie off with a loud bark series (yes, I Bark!), she immediately got submissive. I continued to hug Wy while ignoring Smudgie, she slinked over and started kissing at my mouth. She knew she was in trouble. Wy's seizure wasn't as long or as intense as his petite mal's are.

I visited Josie. As I parked, I saw her head pop up a little higher and when I got out of the rig she loudly nickered a greeting. I greeted her back and gave her a treat. With the boot in a bag, I cleaned her up for the first time in quite a while. She got her wormer - all of it this time.

More to follow :)

No comments: