I am not a good patient . . .

I am going stir crazy. I think I am finally over the emotional part of this. I rested the limb most of the week. Took Thursday off work but made it in for Friday. Painful sleeping.

The dogs are really crawling out of their skins. Spent a little time training Smudgie with the treat ball. She needs to peel it to get to the treats. She doesn't quite get the puzzle and thinks she should go in from the bottom. She will get it one of these days.

Taking the Jack Pack out separately is working for me but must annoy the neighbors. Wyatt barks the entire time I am out with Smudgie. He must be saying, "I know you two are having fun and I want fun, too!"

Saturday, off to the Horse Expo. Really enjoyed Ken McNabb - demystifying leads and flying lead changes. He broke down flying lead changes so well. I went to the booth afterwards to see if they had something on DVD. I find "Leads" with no mentioned of Flying Lead Changes so I ask sales girl, "Does this DVD cover everything he covered in his presentation?" Her answer was yes. Viewed DVD later at home and NO it does not. I have sent an email to them to see what is available and about how disappointed I was. We shall see what happens.

Here is my best recollection:

Cross fire - feels like your neck is going to break

No wrong lead just a counter canter - one man's lead is another man's counter canter.

When you are cantering on the correct lead - say the left lead, your left leg is going to be a titch more forward.

To teach the flying lead change:

This could take 5 minutes to 5 days - much laughing on this :)

Go on the rail, on the left rein, ask your horse to turn his haunches to the middle of the arena with your right leg. If it doesn't happen, turn your horses nose to the wall which will cause the horse to put their haunches to the left while giving the leg cue. Straighten and try to ask again. This is done at the walk until you can do it at the trot and canter.

I don't think I have this quite correct - Then one exercise was to circle say to the right and put their nose to the left, the horse keeps thinking this is hard and I should be cantering the other way. I think you are to counter canter at this point and offer a change which the horse will want to take cuz it will be comfortable.

Another - circle to the left move haunches to the left like a boat rudder horse will change direction to the right.

Left lead canter stop half pass to the left then ask for right lead and rinse and repeat eventually you do a soft change.

It sure would be nice to ride and try this. Patience grasshopper, patience.

I walked around for probably two hours - yup, not a good patient . . .

Spent time in the evening with the neighbors. Surprised with a b-day cake for D and me.

Woke on Sunday, ya, the big day, the BIG 53. With my current state of affairs I was not in a good mood. I had planned to go see Josie but was not fit for public consumption. I iced and watched movies on Netflix instead.

Pups were pretty good about chilling. Still outings are one by one.


No comments: