The Joy of Dehydrating

My Excaliber Dehydrator arrived on Friday, February 15, that night was spent cleaning it and reading two books about dehydrating. With a busy weekend, I wait until Monday, grocery shopping day. What to dehydrate first? I decide to start with apples. They turned out well. Next time I won't take the time to core them. Treating this as a scientific experiment, I continue each night. First, apples and sweet potatoes and then oranges, limes and what I found to be the ultimate, PEARS! I only bought two - drat, drat and double drat! Each day I bring samples to work plus what was to be my lunch. Needless to say the pears did not make it to lunch.

Having Thursday off for a much needed teeth cleaning, I plan ahead, taking out different meat acquired Monday. Roundsteak and another steak (hmmm I wish I knew which - I hope to figure this out). I slice into narrow strips and then find I am to make them one inch thick. Experiment continues . . .

I decide at the last moment to make some plain for the pups and some soaked in Teryaki sauce. I have all ingredients except for Ginger. OMG! The jerky is to die for. The pups like the roundsteak - me not so much but I will eat up the rest of the Teriayke.

Thursday night (February 21), Agility night . . . my other salvation. Smudgie did as my body was telling her. What my body was telling her was not what I meant to say - LOL! We are getting very impressive. No run throughs Saturday, I think I will go watch a few students and instructors of Dog Works do their runs. Also see K9 gal for a blanket for Wyatt. Smudgie got the last one.

I had laxed a bit and we had another fight. This was definitely Smudgie this time - into the kennel. She got Pix in the same spot but nothing too bad. Back on track until Spring.

No comments: